Monday, April 2, 2007; Posted: 9:52 AM - by BWW News Desk
a new play (with music) by Phil Hall that began previews
Thursday, March 29th Off Broadway at American Theatre of Actors'
Chernuchin Theatre (314 West 54th Street, between 8th and 9th Avenues),
will open Monday, April 2, 2007 at 8PM.
Press notes state, “Matthew Passion
tells the story of the passion of Christ; the story of Matthew Shepard
being picked up at a bar in Laramie, Wyoming, beaten and left for dead
on a hillside; and the story of a middle-aged HIV positive survivor who
has outlived his life expectancy. Although the three stories take
place in three different locations, and are thousands of years apart,
they all reflect one another and converge in the final scene.”
Phil Hall composed the score for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and vocally arranged Sophisticated Ellington at Carnegie Hall for Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops. On Broadway, he conducted Play Me a Country Song and was associate conductor for the Broadway revival of Mame, starring Angela Lansbury.
He has been a conductor/musical director at The Kennedy Center, St.
Louis MUNY, Michigan Opera Theatre, Paper Mill Playhouse, Atlanta's
Theater of the Stars, Houston's Theatre Under The Stars, Seattle's
Fifth Avenue Theatre, Kansas City Starlight and Indianapolis' Starlight
Theatre. He also appeared in the Mira Sorvino-produced, Griffin Dunne-directed film Lisa Picard Is Famous.
The cast of Matthew Passion includes Jeff Applegate, James Royce Edwards (Altar Boyz), Jimmi Kilduff, Timothy John Mandala, Chad McCallon, Craig Ramsay,
Andrew Redeker, Matt Shepard, Jay Sullivan. There are also 6 musicians.
The show is directed by Steve Stringfellow and features choreography by
Jacob Brent. Scenic design is by Michael Anania;
with costume design by Jimmy Johansmeyer; lighting design by Jerome J.
Hoppe, Jr.; sound design by David Ferdinand / One Dream Sound
Corporation; photography and poster by David Vance with graphic
design/poster by James Donegan; production photos by David Morgan, and production stage management Harold Goldfaden.
will play a limited run through April 8, Wednesday–Saturday at
8PM; Sunday at 3PM; with special performances this Sunday, April 1 at
7:30PM; opening night Monday, April 2 at 8PM and Saturday, April 7 at
2PM. Tickets are $18 and available by calling SmartTix, (212)
868-4444. For more information, visit www.matthewpassion.com.
Reader Feedback - 0 Replies
Be the first to kick-start this discussion...
Join the discussion... To register, please click here
Past Articles by This Author:
- Nancy Anderson Returns to Birdland, May 7
- Daniels and Schmidt to Host 'New Voices,' May 14
- Actors' Fund Announces 'Auction of 1000 Stars'
- Zipper Theatre Becomes Factory; Sarich, Scott, Etc. Perform
- Barbra Streisand to Launch European Tour This Summer
- Kudisch, Jenkins, Etc. Set for Project Shaw's 'Bashville'
- Kind, Gets, Paulson, Witt, Etc. Added to Williamstown Fest
- Valerie Smaldone to Join Cast of Stories Left to Tell
- Ahrens & Flaherty Benefit, with Rees, Miller, Held 4/30
- Cook's 'Fate's Imagination' Opens Off-Broadway, May 31
- Long Running Broadway Shows as of 4/29/2007
- New and Updated in the Broadway Who's Who - 4/29/2007
- Pamela Anderson to Join Klok for Las Vegas Magic Show
- 'Seven Brides' to Complete Full Run at Paper Mill Playhouse
- Photo Preview: GAYFESTNYC
- Recipe-Inspired 'Pot Luck Plays' Run May 3-May 13
- Jensen Ackles to Join Phillips for TX A Few Good Men
- Monk and Pierce to Appear on On Stage This Weekend
- Kristin Chenoweth Charity Auction Ends on eBay May 1
- LoveMusik to be Featured on NPR's Weekend Edition
- Wilson, Nixon, Etc. to Honor Karen Akers, May 7
- York Theatre to Present Free Reading of Arturo's Window
- Hairspray Film to be Featured on E!'s Hot Summer 16
- Paolo Montalban to Appear in Romance of Magno Rubio
- Peter Gallagher Brings 'Songs and Stories' to Feinstein's
- More Articles by This Author...